Thursday, January 13, 2011

3 Year Check Up

Today was Sophia's 3 year check up.  Thankfully there would be no shots today.  We would just get a chance to see how Sophia is doing compared to others her age.

Her measurements were as follows:
Height: 37.5 inches (61st percentile)
Weight: 32 pounds (63rd percentile)
BMI (Body Mass Index): 16 (59th percentile, which is great because they should be between 50-75%)

Once we were informed that Sophia was growing as she should be, I discussed the topic of Sophia's speech.  Apparently you are supposed to be able to understand 75% of what a three year old says.  I stay home with Sophia all day and can only understand about 50% of what she says.  Most of the time I have to bring in my translator (Lily) to decipher some of her words.

For those of you that talk to her on the phone, you understand me when I say it is very hard to understand her.  So I voiced my concern to the doctor and she agreed that Sophia needs to go through some additional testing.  The Dr. seems to think that Sophia will need a little speech therapy, but before we get her started with that, she will first need a hearing test to ensure that she can hear everything around her.  I believe it isn't her hearing that is the issue (except when she uses it selectively), but I will do whatever needs to be done to get Sophia where she needs to be.

Her hearing test is scheduled for January 27th.  I will keep you posted on the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment