Saturday, August 14, 2010

To Homeschool or Not to Homeschool

Living in Arkansas, you really only have two choices when it comes to choosing a school for your child.  You either put them in a private school, or you homeschool.  For the past two years, Lily has been in private preschools.  This year, we made plans to send her to a Catholic school by our house.  She would go three full days a week.  She would also need uniforms.  Tuition alone cost close to $4000.  Add in the cost of uniforms and it came to an amount that just didn't make sense to me for a preschool.  Next year Lily would HAVE to be in school.  If we are still in Arkansas by the time she starts kindergarten, then there is no doubt that it is private school for her.  But what to do now??

Education is not something I take lightly.  I fully believe that what my children experience and the habits that they form at this age will stick with them.  I want to always do what is right for my children.  This was a tough decision to make and Joe and I took it very seriously.  After doing some research to see where Lily needs to be upon entering kindergarten, I found that the only thing she lacked was the knowledge of her phone number and home address.  When it came to everything else, she is easily ready for kindergarten at this moment.  Seeing that evidence made the decision all the easier.  This year, we would homeschool.  Not only will it benefit Lily, but Sophia will also benefit from the exposure to new things.

This is something that I know will take a lot of work and may be difficult at times.  However, to not follow through with this plan means I have failed my children and I will never let that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment