Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Baby Steps

I was sure that I was going to be arrested today.
I just knew that I would be taken away in a police car for abusing my poor children.
Why?
Today the girls start swim lessons
I am pretty sure that swim lessons in February classifies as cruel and unusual punishment in some Mommy Handbook.

Nevertheless, I got the girls dressed in their bathing suits...  

and soon most of my fears were put to rest.

For one, I wasn't the only parent accompanying bathing suit clad children to the pool.
Secondly, the indoor pool was heated quite comfortably.
Finally, the girls were NOT miserable and were quite happy about getting into a pool in the middle of winter...
Besides, after being at the pool for just a short time, I was reminded as to why I was there.
Water makes me uneasy.
However, water does not make her uneasy...
I don't want to feel terrified every time my girls go near a pool.
I do not want to feel the tightness in my chest for fear that they will fall in and will not be saved.
My chest felt tight while I tried to casually take pictures today.
Not a good feeling.
I am not looking for the next Michael Phelps.
Rather I am looking to have my children be strong swimmers.
Unlike myself...
Baby steps were taken today.
Tiny steps were taken to teach Lily and Sophia how to swim.
I took the tiniest step towards becoming more comfortable with the girls in the water.
Very tiny.
I don't want them to feel the fear I do around water.
It's not healthy.
So I am okay with baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you are similar in the water arena. I don't know how to swim and have been stressed because somehow I gave birth to a water baby. Mackenzie runs toward the ocean and simply doesn't stop. So we've been working on water rules and getting her proficient at swimming (obviously that is a long way off since she is 2, but like you said, baby steps).

    ReplyDelete