Thursday, September 1, 2011

Reading Racers

At the Back to School night on Tuesday, the parents were told about the reading program the kindergarteners would be starting later this week.
The program is called "Reading Racers."
Each week the kids will be given a set of 8-10 sight words to practice each night.
They will have the entire week to practice the words as part of their homework and then when they feel ready, their teacher will test them on that set of words.

On Wednesday afternoon, Lily got her first set of words.
They were colors.
To better help her learn them, I made her some flash cards...
Lily and I went over the cards for about ten minutes.
Sophia also did some work with the flashcards.  
She identified all of the colors.
Lily felt that she knew the words backwards and forwards.
Although she had a week to work on them, she wanted to test on them the next day.

When I picked her up from school, Ms. Backie said that Lily had a big day.
She passed her first test and was ready to begin her second set of words.
I was so proud of her.
As a proud mother, I feel it's my job to brag and say that she was the only child ready to test.
(Insert cheesy smile here).

In Lily's folder, I found set two of the Reading Racer words.
Lily liked the flashcard idea.
But this time, she made them herself...
We went over them again and again for twenty minutes.
Once she went through them twice, she would mix them up and start again.
Before bed, she informed me that she was ready to test on them in the morning.

This little reading nerd (me) couldn't be happier that my big girl is one step closer to joining me in one of my favorite pastimes...reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment