Tuesday, July 17, 2012

#1 Readers

I have always been a bit of a reading nerd.
Many of my most favorite gifts growing up were my Sweet Valley High and Babysitter's Club books.
Every day while walking to my cousin's house on the way to school, I would read.
That's right, reading WHILE walking.
(And to think, my husband calls me clutzy.
Hmph, I'd like to see him try that one.)

I have tried since a very young age to infuse the love of reading into my children.
Since they were itty bitty, we would read books every night before bed.
We would snuggle and read stories about Elmo and princesses.

Story time is still a nightly ritual, but it has since evolved quite a bit.
Elmo books are no longer in our library for bedtime reading.
Instead they have been replaced by Pinkalicious, Purplicious and Junie B. Jones.
I now have a four year old who has memorized many of the stories and a six year old who can read the stories to us.

So imagine our excitement when this little family of readers discovered the Summer Reading Club at the local library.
For every five books they read or were read to them, they would get a prize.
The main goal was to read 20 books.
Sign us up!

I believe the task of reading 20 books was supposed to last most of the summer, but like I said, we love to read.
Needless to say, it only took a week.

Off to the library we went to claim the prizes.
The girl's each decorated a name tag to put on the wall to show their goal was met...
They claimed their prizes of a pencil, a bookmark and a certificate.
But the prize they most longed for was shiny and gold...
I am so proud of my #1 Readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment