Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ode to a Butterfly

As the flowers blossom in the springtime, it is not rare to spot a butterfly fluttering about. Many times, you will see two to three in a day. It's incredible to me that this tiny creature, in a world of so many creatures, can bring such beauty to an already beautiful time of year.
I have once read that a butterfly, and more specifically, a monarch butterfly, is known to be a symbol of transformation and metamorphosis. I have even heard that in ancient Christianity, the butterfly was considered to be a symbol of the soul. Could there be a better symbol of our souls? If you have ever watched a butterfly, you would see that it is not just the extraordinary colors they possess, but there is something in the way that they flutter about. It appears to be almost joyful as if there isn't a care in the world. Rather than flying through life, it is almost as if they are dancing. You can't help but feel touched by their beauty and the joy that they can give us. When I see one, it definitely makes me smile.
When asked to imagine a butterfly, is this what you see...
I am sure that this is what most people imagine, but if you were to ask me the same question, this is what I see...




A woman so beautiful and so full of life who just seemed to dance through our lives. One of the true symbols of the soul who was constantly transforming and changing to be what those who loved her, and more importantly, those she loved, needed to be.

Even though this beautiful butterfly flew high into the Heavens on November 12, 2007, I know that her spirit and soul surround us every day. Whether it be on those days that she follows us down the walking path making sure we are okay and enjoying the moments that she can watch her beloved great-grandchildren. Or when she joins our family in those once in a lifetime moments, like when my cousin got married and we watched as a single butterfly danced among the bushes during the ceremony. She is always there.

I am looking forward to the springtime when I can see her more often because not a day goes by that she doesn't cross my mind.

I love you so much Grandma and miss you so deeply!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Carrie, I love this. You are amazing and this is so well written. I see those butterflies all the time and every time I do, I stop to admire their grace, their carefree flutter and the beauty that they bring to the world around them. In all of these ways and so many more I think of grandma daily as she was so much a part of our daily lives, her memories continue on in everything we do. I miss her physical being but her spirit is with me all the time and for that I find great peace. Thank you so much for sharing these thoughts with all of us, it is warming to the heart and a few teardrops but important to keep her spirit alive among us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete