Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Paint, popsicles and frogs, oh my!

Arkansas summers can generally be rough, but this summer seems to be particularly hot. The heat has made me want to spend more time inside by the air conditioner than in the sun. The girls had been itching to paint and since I know how much they like being outside, I felt that going outdoors would be the wisest choice, especially since it didn't seem as hot today.

I set each of the girls up with paint, a paintbrush and a pad of paper. While the girls busily worked away, I also tried to get my painting done. I made sure to look up often to check on their progress. The first few times I glanced up, I saw happy children that were fairly clean, with the exception of a little paint that was on the driveway, but it's washable. Things changed a little by the fourth glance up. At this point, Sophia had a streak of green paint across her head and face. Thankfully, I knew I could count on Lily to stay clean, or so I thought.

Lily decided that her and Sophia should do hand prints, but like most of Lily's ideas, it didn't stop there. As I looked up once again, Lily was covered in paint from her toes to her neck and everywhere in between. It was apparent that they were done with their art project, so it was time to pull out the hose and clean them off. The girls were all for this and ran to grab their buckets as I pulled the hose out.

I just stood there with the hose as they filled the buckets and then dumped the water on their heads. They did this over and over again, that was, until Sophia spotted something moving in the grass. Being the fearless child she is, she chased it into the grass and squatted down next to it. I told her it was a frog and as she reached down to touch it, the smart frog hopped away. The frog headed towards the flowerbed as Sophia threw her bucket down and continued to run after it, all the while yelling "BIBBIT! BIBBIT!"

Hungry from the great adventures, the girls wanted a popsicle. Lily got her favorite yellow one and Sophia got green AND red, which she shared with her sister. What a perfect end to this lovely day! I only wish there were pictures to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment