Thursday, December 17, 2009

Tasty Traditions

I love traditions, especially when they involve Christmas. I think traditions are what make the holiday season better and happier. This year I tried making something we used to have around every Christmas at my grandma's house...


ITALIAN COOKIES
The taste of the anise always made them unique and were always a taste I remembered. So when I made them and tasted them this year, the many memories of Christmas past came flowing back. It was as if all of these great memories were packed into these tiny, bite-size cookies.

That's when you know you have a great annual tradition that needs to be carried on, when a taste or smell can remind you of your childhood.

I caught Lily sneaking these cookies as they were cooling. She said to me, "Mmm! These are the best cookies I ever had. Where did you buy these from?"

"Believe it or not Lily, mommy made these. It's something we always had at great grandma's house. It was a tradition."

"Well, we should have these all the time."

And that's how traditions are made. I just hope that when Lily is older that she can take one bite and feel all of the wonderful joy that I felt from this little cookie.

I will be sure to add one other ingredient to make sure she remembers...LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment