Monday, March 22, 2010

Carrie's Book Club


After many years, I have finally found the time to do something I used to love to do, read a good book.  And read a good book is just what I did when I chose to read The Glass Castle.

This is the description of the book that is given on the back cover:
"The Glass Castle is a remarkable memoir of resilience and redemption, and a revelatory look into a family at once deeply dysfunctional and uniquely vibrant.  When sober, Jeannette's brilliant and charismatic father captured his children's imagination, teaching them physics, geology and how to embrace life fearlessly.  But when he drank, he was dishonest and destructive.  Her mother was a free spirit who abhorred the idea of domesticity and didn't want the responsibility of raising a family.
The Walls children learned to take care of themselves.  They fed, clothed, and protected one another, and eventually found their way to New York.  Their parents followed them, choosing to be homeless even as their children prospered."

Jeannette Walls has a true gift for writing.  With the vivid detail of her words, you envision yourself in her life, even when it's hard to believe that is the life she had.  I know I may be no Oprah, but I highly recommend this book.

You may find me writing my opinions from time to time about the books I am reading.  I just so enjoy reading and I hope I can lead you to a book that you may like as well.

Next up...The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment