Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Costume Contest That Ruined My Life

I always look for a good excuse to get the girls to wear their halloween costumes more than once.
Tonight our little library down the street was having a Fall Festival.
This seemed like the perfect excuse...

Our first stop was to feel some gooey guts and broken bones...
Then the games...
Notice the line that you are supposed to stand BEHIND for the ring toss?
Good thing she followed that rule...
Determined to knock down that soda can...
Arts and Crafts...
While the girls were happily immersed in the craft project, the story time leader came and got us for the costume contest.
The girls were super excited for this.
I wasn't so sure it was such a great idea.
But the girls wanted to do it, so I followed them out.

Once everyone was lined up, the girl announced,
"Okay, we are going to see who has the cutest costume."
Immediately Sophia stepped forward, hand raised making sure everyone took notice of her.
This made a few parents laugh.
The few parents laughing made Sophia cry.

Lily urged Sophia to get back in line.
Lily really wanted the prize.
When neither of them got cutest costume, they moved on to the spookiest costume.
Guess who won...
As each category passed, I could see Lily's heart breaking a little each time.
She had one final hope when the most creative costume category came up.
She looked at me, with a glimmer in her eye and said,
"Mommy, I know my costume is the most created."
But lo and behold, she didn't win that prize either.
That bad feeling I had about the costume contest idea in the first place just reaffirmed how silly of an idea it was when you had all of these young kids.
Especially when one of the young kids is crying on my shoulder and telling me that she doesn't want to wear her costume anymore because it is not beautiful.

After Lily dried her tears and we left, she still wasn't completely over the outcome of the costume contest.
As she was going the bathroom, I could hear her mumbling,
"Most created.  Most created."

Then as she walked out of the bathroom, she had a teenage moment when she looked at me and said,
"That costume contest ruined my life."
At least it wasn't me.

No comments:

Post a Comment