Friday, April 15, 2011

My Unhappy Ovary

Sunday I had to make an unplanned trip to the emergency room.
(I guess that statement is a bit of an oxymoron seeing as nobody ever plans to go to the ER).
Nevertheless, that's where I spent my Sunday night.

I made the choice to drive myself there after doubling over in pain and watching my stomach get more and more distended.
I have a history of bad things going on internally, so I figured it was the right choice.

Once there, I was met by a grouchy nurse.
The grouchy nurse led me into a room.
About twenty minutes later, grouchy nurse was replaced by brainless doctor.
He asked me why I was there.
So I told him.

He originally thought maybe it was my appendix.
When I told him that it was removed 7 years ago, he still kept pushing the issue.
Once he got it in his head that wasn't the case, he pushed on my abdomen nearly sending me through the roof.
Then I saw a miracle happen.
Through his x-ray fingers, he was able to diagnose me just by touching my stomach.
"This is a sure sign of ruptured Corpus Luteum Cyst."

Really, just a minute ago you thought it was my appendix.

Then he put on his Superhero cape and vanished out of sight.
I was certain more tests would be run.
Maybe blood work or better yet, an ultrasound.
Nope, all that happened was I released 30 minutes later.

Well guess what Mr. Doctor Man, your diagnosis was wrong.
And if you would have taken the time to do that ultrasound that is typical protocol, you would have discovered that.

I obviously did not feel good by his diagnosis.
So I did some follow-up the next day.
The pain was still unbearable and I wasn't going to stop until an ultrasound was done.

So I called real doctors.
My family practitioner got an ultrasound scheduled for me that day.

Today I got the results.

Yes, there is a cyst.
No, it did not rupture.
This cyst is causing ovarian torsion (imagine twisting a wet rag to wring it out.)
This ovarian torsion could lead to my ovary dying.
I only have one left.
I would like to keep it.
Once I am healthy, a dead ovary could cause other obvious problems,
like infertility.

So up next for me is surgery.
Not a new thing for me, but that doesn't make it any less scary.

I am just glad I went with my gut.
I know everything will be okay because I refuse to believe that this worthless doctor could take away the one thing I have to hold onto...
HOPE.

1 comment:

  1. That is so scary that the Dr. couldn't figure out that tests were needed and to diagnose you so quickly..yet another reason to move back to Cali..better health care :) I am hoping you are feeling better and I am praying for you and HOPE!

    ReplyDelete