Saturday, October 17, 2009

Race for the Cure

Today was the day I was going to be racing for a cure to breast cancer. The pink ribbon below is a symbol for breast cancer. One most of us have seen...
So I found it to be a bit extraordinary, that on the day where we would be surrounded by so much pink, that the sunrise would be pink as well...
(Thank you for this incredible picture Jen)

I wasn't sure what I would be feeling today, but like my cousin Christi said, being a part of this day is something that is so much bigger than yourself. She was right! This day was also about so much more than simply finding a cure for this horrible disease.
Today was a day of INSPIRATION...
It was about being inspired for the cause...
and by our little ones, who inspire me every day...
It was about being inspired by friends and walking along side them...
Today was a day of CELEBRATION...
To celebrate these women...
To celebrate all of the survivors.
To celebrate the beauty and strength of women, all women...

Today was a day of REFLECTION...
Many times today, I thought about my grandmother and all that she was. I even brought along a piece of her, an afghan she had made me. It was one of the last she ever made and I find it fitting that it was the color pink...
I knew this piece of my grandma didn't belong anywhere else but tucked tightly around my daughters, keeping them warm...
Today was a day of DEDICATION...
Many dedicated this day to their heroes, the survivors, the fighters...
Even companies were dedicated to the cause and it made my heart even more full to know that my husband's company was one of them...
Mostly though, I found today to be a day for our FUTURE GENERATIONS...
A day for our babies and their closest friends...
A day where all of us, young or old, big or small, could walk hand in hand for a cause...
Today I saw a community come together. I saw it in the 50,000 women that walked. I saw it in the men that lined the streets yelling and encouraging us to continue on. I even saw it in the fire truck painted pink and the pink ribbons in the windows and in the pink balloons tied everywhere. Today was certainly a day that was so much bigger than me and I am proud to say that I was a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Carrie! I wish we could have walked together! I'm walking in the one here in SD next Sunday :) See you in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete